Wednesday 3 December 2008

I'm Not Working Class, Because I Don't Work

Sunday 30 November 2008
Baga Beach, Goa

I have a good sleep and wake up late. Thankfully I'm not hungover, however Evan isn't so lucky and is in a “funk,” as he calls it, for most of the day.

We do very little. I do some internet stuff. Evan calls his girlfriend again. I join him on the beach later on but as it's still cloudy there's not much sunbathing happening. I just about finish 1984. Man I love that book. If there is hope, it lies in the proles. There is so much that it true about the nature of hierarchical society and the nature of power in there. And it's reminiscent of the Khmer Rouge: I understand how, but I don't undxerstand why. There is also much truth relevant to today about the subjugation of the “proles.” About the only thing that he doesn't pick up on is the relation to all of that to ethology and the behavioural aspect of genetics (although it's there in the subtext). Since that line of science hadn't been explored then, I'll let him off.

In the evening we watch some football. The Manchester derby is pretty uneventful. The Chelsea-Arsenal London derby that follows is so soporific in the first half that we both fall asleep and then decide to head home (after waking up again). Of course during our walk home Van Persie scores twice in three minutes and we miss it. We catch the end of the match at another bar and Arsenal win, ending their league losing streak.

Not much happened today, really.

No comments: