Thursday 18 December 2008

When Routine Bites Hard

Monday 8 December
Palolem Beach, Goa


Well today was a good day. I'm getting into the swing of this beach life now. It basically consists of waking up, having a breakfast of friend eggs on toast and porridge, putting on the sun tan lotion and having a morning tan, going for a swim, cooling off in the shade, having some lunch, relaxing some more for digestion, doing some more sunbathing in the afternoon then maybe a quick final swim and then out for a meal in the evening, and late drinks in Café del Mar.

I have a proper sunbathe. Up to now I've only been going out in the sun after about 3, but by then it's actually pretty weak and nothing much seems to have changed recently, so it was time to up the ante. I buy a weaker strength cream and spend about an hour in the sun when it is stronger. I lie with my head in the shade, and luckily there's a wind so I don't get too hot.

After that I go for a swim and try a bit of front crawl. Luckily I don't veer off to one side by mistake, as can often happen when there are no lines on a swimming pool floor to rely on.

It's pretty much standard fare from that point on. What Palolem really lacks is a good bar that's open late. Café del Mar is open late, but it's not that full, it's not an easy place to mingle and the music is just a fraction too quiet to dance to. Basically the fun police need to stop closing down everything that's enjoyable.

We're hitting the vodka, lime and sodas which are an awesome combination. Unfortunately all that soda gives me heartburn after a while so I stop, and it convinces me to head home sooner rather than later.

No comments: