Tuesday 26 October 2010

And So the Conversation Turned, As the Sun Went Down

Sunday 9 May
Medellín

I watched Doctor Who and Formula One. There was a barbeque at the hostel, so I ate some of that. I met up with the guys who went out clubbing the night before. They were still on it since then. To help with their current state of mind I talked about politics and macroeconomics. There was still an unresolved election taking place so the question on everyone's lips was, "What the fuck happens now?" Cue an explanation of hung parliaments and what it means, as well as a side explanation of what caused the global recession and how to get out of it. Despite this being definitively the most boring subjects in world everyone was gripped for some reason. I put it down to my ability to succinctly encapsulate the key ideas and communicate them in engaging layman's terms.

Of maybe it was the drugs. I think I even expounded on my theories behind why religion exists and the roles it played (explaining the world before science, a sense of morals, power structures, something to believe in). It was a heavy but enjoyable night.

No comments: