Tuesday 19 October 2010

Where Were You While We Were Getting High?

Saturday 8 May
Medellín

There aren’t many sights in Medellín. You don’t really come here for the culture. You come for the parties and the hostels. Despite that, there is a newly opened cable car and so I met up with Steve and Lucy from the hostel and we went off to have a look at it. We took the metro that runs along the valley floor shadowing the river that runs through it. The river has been beautifully landscaped into a design that has all the charm and elegance of a storm drain, which is really romantic. The metro is pretty clean and efficient though. We changed at one stop, took one cable car halfway up the mountain, and then took another to the top.

We passed a large, black, strangely shaped building and asked a local what it was. Apparently it was a library. Such strange architecture could only be a public building. I said it looked like a spaceship. Lucy mentioned that it wasn’t very aerodynamic, before I pointed out that there wasn’t any air in space.

Once we were at the top the second cable car kept on going, taking us over a vast forest and into the heart of a national park. Steve said that the forest looked very much like a forest. Nothing gets past that guy!

Once in the national park we decided to go for a bit of a walk and find a waterfall marked on a map. To be honest I wasn’t really up for it as I was a bit tired but I thought I’d give it a go. We think we found it, I wasn’t 100% sure but we did find a waterfall of sorts. It just wasn’t that spectacular. But then, I guess it was never going to be Iguazu.

We decided to go back a different way and promptly got lost. Luckily Steve had a GPS app on his iPhone that had been tracking us from the start, and using that we managed to get back. The wonders of technology, eh?

Back at the hostel I went out for a Mexican with some of the girls. I like Mexicans, but I couldn’t eat a whole one. Then when we came back we were supposed to go out to a club, but I was too tired. I went to bed hoping that I would have a power nap, but tiredness enveloped me like a slightly too thick duvet. Everyone else had an amazing night though. Which was annoying!

One of the things that I’ve noticed from this trip is that as I’m getting older I’m getting more and more tired, and conversely less and less sleep. It’s really frustrating. Part of the problem in Medellín is that I’m on the top bunk which I don’t like, and that it slopes slightly so I feel like I’m falling out all the time. Such is life.

No comments: