Saturday 30 January 2010

Homage to Patagonia

Tuesday 26 January
San Carlos de Bariloche

So in my semi sleep/waking state I watch awesome sunrise appear on the left over the hills of Patagonia. It’s beautiful, and the landscape is beautiful too, finally becoming interesting after the plains of La Plata. Although as I’m on the right of the bus I only catch glimpses of the best landscape on the left.

As I get to my hostel a random girl called Alice invites me to come on a bike ride that afternoon. I am knackered after not having had much sleep – maybe about three hours – but I say yes. I have a shower and go for lunch. Over lunch I continually toy with the idea of whether I should actually go on this ride – what if I collapse with exhaustion half way through? And I’ve not ridden a bike in ages. The last two-wheeler I rode was a moped in India that I managed to drive into a wall within ten metres.

I eat pasta and drink Coke to give me energy and in the end I go for it anyway. We try out the bikes and I quickly get used to it again. Falling off a bike is much like riding a log. We set off and it’s fine. The route is 20 km long and hilly, but we just walk up the steep bits. We get to see some nice views but then suddenly we get an awesome view over a whole stretch of lakes, islands and mountains. It’s stunningly beautiful. The glacier-hewn rock is breathtaking. I never used to have much appreciation for landscape having grown up with it constantly around like wallpaper. But now I’ve been living in a city for so long I really appreciate it.

Cycling downhill is fun and I can go pretty fast. I feel like I’m on the Nordschliefe at times! Also I do pretty well uphill, overtaking my co-cyclists Alice (from Kent) and Kova (from Hong Kong). That time in the gym must have paid off!

After I get back I shower and do some admin and then meet up with Alice and Kova in their hostel for a steak dinner. I cook the potatoes and do an amazing job if I do say so myself. Unfortunately the meat we buy isn’t the best. Their hostel – 1004 – awesome and I make a note to stay there on my way back from Chile. After the meal I go out for a drink with some other random guy I meet in the hostel. We go to a bar that is filled with locals and chat about all things concerning travelling and life. Then after two drinks I go home never to see him again – such is the life of a traveller. It’s 1.30 when I get back – much later than I thought I would be able to stay out.

No comments: