Thursday 21 January 2010

World in Motion

Wednesday 20 January
Mar del Plata

So I don’t know much about this trip. From the internet I find out that the match is at 9 (it turns out to be at 10). I know we’re visiting the beach. Either way we leave at 6.45 and just over 6 hours later we arrive in Mar del Plata, 400km south of BA. I haven’t had any breakfast except some biscuits though surprisingly I wasn’t hungry. I think my body had placed itself on standby as it knew it was travelling without easy access to anything.

So I join some Brits and have a burger for lunch then spend the rest of the next 6 hours on the beach. The water’s really cold but bearable. They get sunburnt while I cover up. We get on the bus but four people are missing and we have to wait for them to turn up. Eventually we go to the stadium.

There was constant chanting throughout the game right up to the end when Boca lost 3-1 to River. There were flares but it was quite windy so they didn't have much of an effect. There were bottles thrown at the players when they took corners and one Boca player was sent off for throwing a bottle back into the crowd - which was responded to with a hail of more bottles naturally. When River had their next corner it was met with plenty of bottles and a few chairs as well for good measure.

There were a few moments between the Boca fans as people got pushed around. And after the match three of the people on our bus of about 15 had people attempt to steal their cameras from them.

Another six hour trip back almost all asleep and back to the hostel for a proper bed for the rest of the night.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are having a blast. Hope you threw some bottles to get in the spirit of things.