Wednesday 24 March 2010

Oh No, Not Again

Friday 5 March
Quito

The only piece of sightseeing that I still wanted to do was inside the Basilica – a big old church on a hill in the old town. I had arrived too late to see it properly the last time. So I went there and it was pretty awe inspiring, nice high vaulted Gothic edifice.

For two dollars you could climb up both the main tower and the bell tower. But they were really high up and on the tower, the stairs we steep, exposed and frankly way too scary. I chickened out of going all the way, though I did go halfway.

And then my camera ran out of batteries. Again. They really need to work on their warning systems on these things. Luckily I could take a handful more non-zoom snapshots to cover off what I wanted. And I climbed all the way up the bell tower. That was fun and mildly less scary.

I tried some other bars but I went back to the Irish bar in the evening – it is the only place I found where I could meet people. Of course it was tonight, on my last night in Quito, that I find out where the cool nightclub that everyone hangs out at is. Well, I may get one more chance to go to it.

No comments: