Thursday 11 March 2010

Turn Left

Friday 26 February
Quito

This was my last full day in Quito so I was going to do the sights of the old town, which I hadn’t been to yet. In Quito the day usually starts off sunny and then gets cloudy and rainy in the afternoon. This morning it was raining. Well, I could always do it when I get back from the Galapagos I thought. I continue to wrestle with PayPal but have to give up and end up paying in a combination of cash and credit card. I went for an Almuerzo for lunch – a set meal consisting of soup, meat with rice and veg, juice and a small pudding. For two dollars. It was tasty, but afterwards I could feel things getting dodgy in my stomach.

Ironically the weather cleared up in the afternoon so I did my sightseeing anyway. It’s nice and colonial down there and very different from the careless, American-style build shit anywhere approach of the new town where I was staying.

I checked what the time was with the guy in reception and only found out now that I had spent the whole time in Quito one hour slow.

I went out for dinner at a restaurant that I had seen the past few days that looked interesting, because its decor was completely crazy. It was like the most pretentious bar design from Shoreditch, mixed with Alice in Wonderland. Really crazy. But the food was great.

I went back to the Irish bar and met Fiona who looked and acted like Catherine Tate. I had a great time with her and a few other people and went to bed at a reasonable hour to catch my Galapagos flight in the morning.

No comments: