Thursday 25 November 2010

Leave

Thu 27 May
Bogota – Madrid

Another rainy and cloudy day in Bogotá, there wasn’t much incentive to go out and do things. I spent most of the day killing time, surfing the net. Joe and Craig hang out with me and watch TV. Then the time comes and I say goodbye. It feels like a big moment, saying goodbye to the last of my friends that I made in South America. This was truly it – the start of my journey home. The end of the longest trip abroad I have ever had. I had lived out of a suitcase for four and a half months. Which goes to show how little we really need.

I take a taxi to the airport. The driver tries to talk to me and I have my last broken English / broken Spanish conversation. I tell him where I’ve been and he seems impressed. It’s been a long old distance.

I arrive at the airport and it appears that my flight has been brought forward by an hour and will be boarding shortly. So it’s just as well I arrived in good time.

I’m flying Iberia and unlike the luxury of Alitalia there are no personal TV screens, just one large one at the front of the cabin. It seems to be showing some film of Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson as a tooth fairy, with Stephen Merchant as some supporting character. What a combination.

They keep the lights on for ages and I have trouble falling asleep. Luckily it doesn’t matter. I don’t need sleep where I’m going.

No comments: