Thursday 25 November 2010

Up in the Clouds

Wed 26 May
Taganga – Bogotá

Another night, another overnight bus journey. This would be my last. We stopped at some time in the morning and had breakfast at a service station. I had a Frosties and yogurt combination. It seemed to be the safest thing on offer.

Shortly after that we started our ascent into Bogotá. Having been at sea level on the Caribbean coast, I was (again, for the last time) winding my way back up through the Andes, two and a half kilometres high. There was some film on that was boring enough to send me back to sleep. When I woke up again I watched Sherlock Holmes on my laptop, which was pretty good fun. I then listened to Stephen Fry read Harry Potter and promptly fell back into a deep sleep which saw me all the way to the capital, where Joe had to forcefully wake me up.

We have a bit of hassle finding a hostel but get one eventually. I took a private room as it’ll be my last night in South America. We go and wonder around the town to look at a few sights. It’s cloudy, rainy and wet and everything looks a little drab. There are people on the streets selling umbrellas, and so I learn probably my last piece of Spanish vocab: paragua (from para agua: against water).

We go to a cable car which goes up the side of a mountain, much like the ones in Quito and Medellin, but the top of the mountain is covered in cloud and it seems it’s closed anyway, so that’s a no go. Instead we head back to the hostel where completely by chance we meet some people that went to the same school as Craig and Joe. So we hang out with them and end up going to some random club/bar type place and spend the night there. It’s pretty good fun and everyone has a good time.

No comments: