Monday 20 October 2008

The Frog Chorus

Sunday 19 October 2008
Ko Tao

So today is Grand Prix day. I've found a venue to view it but I'm not sure what time it's on. I turn up at 12 and it actually starts at 2... so I have a couple of hours to kill. Luckily there's another random guy there from Bournemouth that's done the same thing, so we sit and chat for a bit while we wait for the time to pass.

The race itself is nothing special except for the fact that Lewis won and for some reason there were no penalties. It's just not proper Formula One in my book if there aren't some obviously pro-Ferrari / anti-McLaren penalties, and I really think the F1 stewards need to be more consistent in their approach, or more people will start to lose faith in the sport.

Anyway after that I just took things easy, going for a swim in the clear water. I met the Watford girls from Ko Pha Ngan again in a bar and made plans to meet up with them, but a rainstorm prevented me. Later in the evening I watched a showing of the Dark Knight again as it was so awesome, though the sound quality at the place I saw it wasn't great.

I ended up at some random bar and chatting to the barman, who was from Burma which I'm pretty sure is a first for me, and some random Swedes. I was pretty tired for some reason plus I had to get up early for snorkelling the next day so I headed to bed at midnight.

When I arrived back at the resort there were massively loud animal noises going on. It was the frogs. I don't know if it mating season or something but they were out in force. Some random guy I spoke to told me the males make the familiar noise - like a single wooden door creak - and the females make something much more strange and bizarre - it sounded like a single cow moo but at a slightly higher pitch (though not much, it still sounded pretty much like a cow). This was then followed by two more at slightly lower volume. I went looking for one but despite the noise level I couldn't find one. Or any cows either for that matter. Very strange.

No comments: