Friday 24 October 2008

Half a Person

Wednesday 22 October 2008
Ko Pha Ngan

OK so today was the Half moon party. I chat to a couple of girls who I haven't seen at the resort before and check to see if they are coming to the party. They are and it's all good.

I can't remember much about what happened during the day but not much eventful at any rate. I updated the blog at least.

Anyway evening came and it was the Half Moon Party. Since the Full Moon Party became a regular and large event, some canny individual had the idea of having Half Moon Parties (which would be twice as regular as well) and they also have a Black Moon Party on the new moon days. All they need now is someone to set up parties for the Waning Gibbous, Waning Crescent, Waxing Crescent and Waxing Gibbous Moons and there would be a party every three and a half days. Imagine the hangovers...

Anyway it was me, the Scottish couple, two other Scottish girls and the two English girls that I'd met in the morning that boarded the taxi to take us to the party location. Unlike the Full Moon party that takes place on the beach, this takes place inland, in the middle of the jungle. As such it's pretty much set up like an outdoor club, with strange flouorescent mobiles hanging from the trees and a 10 THB charge to go to the loos. Needless to say, as you're in the jungle, if you're sober enough you can take a back route through a fence and over a ditch and avoid the excessive cost. No loo paper though.

It's actually a lot better vibe than the Full Moon Party, as there is better music with proper DJs, rather than the cheesy rubbish that was playing before, and a more cohesive feel to the dancing area and the bars. There are fire twirlers of course, it wouldn't be the islands without them. There are people selling the glow-stick things that you can wrap round your wrist and I find myself with a fetching purple number.

The drink's a bit more expensive but it's a captive market so it's to be expected. I manage my consumption pretty effectively: I'm trashed by the end of the night. I see the Aussie guys who I met snorkelling on Ko Tao - they've turned up based on my recommendation. It all becomes a bit of a blur and the time seems to fly by pretty quickly until it seems like a good idea to head home, at which point everone seems to be lost. After a short while we gather everyone up together again and grab a taxi. I end up sitting on the floor with a large-sized spring roll in my hand, that tastes awesome.

Back at the resort we hang out on the beach again. Swimming trunks on, it's time to fool about in the water. Now this beach is strange enough as the water is about waist deep for at least a good 20 metres out to sea (no one could be bothered to walk further). But on this night it was even stranger as it was only ankle deep. Which is strange as the tides should have been neap given that it was a half moon, and additionally the water had never been below knee level the whole time I had been there. The cosmic ballet of the spheres was playing havoc with my drunken astronomical mind.

Anyway there was much palaver as one of the English girls had lost her key and they couldn't get into their house. The resort office was all locked up, the employees had left and there was no one answering the phone. The only way they could get in was by breaking one of the wooden panels on the door. I'm sure it cost them a fortune the next day.

No comments: