Sunday 19 October 2008

Things We Lost in the Fire

Saturday 18 October 2008
Ko Pha Ngan - Ko Tao

So I wake up reasonably early and eat breakfast, shower and pack. It's at the last moment that I realise I can't find my iPod. I fret and search for a bit but I can't find it and I give up. I'm in a bad mood but I have a taxi and a ferry to catch so there's not much I can do.

We board the boat to Ko Tao and it's a nice fast catamaran this time. I just sit and snooze a bit. The seats are nice and comfy and when we arrive at the port I don't want to leave. Also, I don't actually have anywhere to stay in Ko Tao, so this is a bit interesting.

I speak to the first taxi driver I meet and after a bit of discussion I manage to find a not-too-expensive place to stay. Post-full-moon this island fills up so apparently there aren't many cheap places left. But by picking somewhere a whole 10 minutes walk away from the main beach I manage to save some money.

I walk around a bit to get a feel for the place. From the guidebook write up I was expecting something a bit more like Uluwatu in Bali - pretty basic accommodation but awesome scenery. It's neither of those - it's pretty good accommodation and only as much awesome scenery as on Ko Pha Ngan. Once night falls however the bars along the beachfront start to look very cool, bean bags, chinese lanterns, wooden buildings and furniture and so on. However I don't have anyone to share them with. I breifly met my neighbours at the resort I was staying at but they were into their thing I was still feeling crap from the iPod situation so I didn't force myself on them.

However after dinner I accidentally bumped into the Scottish couple I met at the last island, and we hit up a few of the bars and played a bit of pool. Turns out Lewis is on pole, which is nice. And I found my iPod - I had hidden it in my clothes so it wouldn't get stolen - and forgotten which bit of clothing it was.

No comments: