Thursday 11 February 2010

Heading up Paraná Way

Friday 5 February
Buenos Aires – Puerto Iguazu

So basically I killed time today before catching my bus to Iguazu. I more or less spent a load of time on the internet as well as doing a few other adminy bits and pieces. Eventually it became time to go to the bus station and I went to get a cab. It was raining and even though I had my umbrella it was still pretty wet.

Usually it’s easy to catch a cab but with the rain they were few and far between. Annoyingly someone grabbed one that was coming to me too. I hope he gets bad AIDS. But eventually I caught one and got to the bus station.

Annoyingly the bus that had been booked for me wasn’t “tutto letto” i.e. full reclining, but one of the almost full reclining ones. Despite that it turned out to be much more comfortable that the previous one I had taken.

Then just as we were leaving Buenos Aires the rain started to pelt down ferociously and it felt there was a war on. It was like Satan’s piss. Even the bus began to leak in places because of the amount of water, luckily none of it on me.

Unsurprisingly we soon found ourselves in a queue on the motorway and I was thinking I was the kid in the Sixth Sense: “There’s been an accident.” Sure enough later on there was some flashing lights and various cars strewn across the road. I saw one with most of its bonnet crushed but couldn’t make out much more than that.

After that the bus was back to normal speed. We had dinner and I managed to order wine which was a good help with the journey. The Argentinean next to me tries to engage with me in conversation but doesn’t get very far given our linguistic limitations.

As the last movie on the trip they showed Five Minutes of Heaven starring Liam Neeson and Jimmy Nesbit, which I’d never seen before but was pretty engrossing. Then I managed to get a bit of sleep.

No comments: