Thursday 4 February 2010

Running up That Hill

Saturday 30 January
Puerto Varas

First a quick postscript to the previous post about the hike in Bariloche. As I was walking back on the last part of the trek, I heard the sound of rocks being rolled along. I looked back and could see puffs of dust being thrown up into the air from somewhere near one of the peaks. It was an avalanche! Luckily it wasn’t anything too big or too near so I was in no danger. But it was cool to see an actual avalanche in progress.

Back to the advertised feature. To make up for the lack of food I had a nice large breakfast. I spoke to the people at the hostel to see what to do. There was a nice trek to do but to start with I thought I would wander around the town. Puerto Varas is situated on a large lake, and on the opposite side is a large volcano – Volcan Orsorno. It basically looks like Mount Fuji and is stunning. The town itself is a little piece of Germany – formerly a German colony, it has lots of German-named buildings and houses built at the start of the twentieth century in a German style. “Bariloche” is German for “A Whale’s...” – wait, no it isn’t. That’s San Diego.

At the western end of the lakeside there is a small hill with views over the lake. I walked up it and was happy that it was of course much, much easier than my previous walk up a hill. I arrived at the top and took a few photos.

After I came back down I wondered through the town looking for the traditional houses. I found one and went to take a photo ... and couldn’t find my camera! I checked all my pockets but I didn’t have it. It shouldn’t have been anywhere else than in my left trouser pocket where I always keep it. But it wasn’t there. It couldn’t have been stolen as I had hardly seen anyone, and none of them had been close enough to me to take it from me. I had to retrace my steps back to where I last took a photo – at the top of the hill – to see if I could find it somewhere.

Unlike normally I had a small local guidebook in my left pocket, and that must have caused me to feel that the camera was in there when it wasn’t, and probably stopped it from being placed in properly.

So trying to remain calm I walked back up the hill constantly scanning the ground in case I can see the camera anywhere. I thought it might be near where I swung from a tree branch, but it wasn’t. I continued retracing my steps and there, literally about a metre from where I took the photo, was the camera, on the ground, untouched. What a relief.

After that I try to book my bus from Bariloche to Buenos Aires but despite asking in a few places it seems I’m on a hiding to nothing so I give up. I take it easy for the rest of the afternoon and chill out in the hostel. I get talking to a Dutch guy who was part of a boat tour around southern Chile and I end up hanging out with him and other people from the tour in a bar for the evening. Have a great chat and meet some interesting people and a good time all round.

Head back at about midnight and fall fast asleep.

No comments: