Thursday 11 February 2010

She’ll Carry on through It All

Sunday 7 February
Puerto Iguazu

So there’s more hassle today as it’s Sunday, it’s hot, and I spend most of the morning walking around town trying to find a cash machine that will give me some cash, without any success. Turns out there is a cash machine within the Iguazu Falls park and I can get some there.

So I head off to the falls and FUCK ME it’s hot again. I literally sweat buckets. But the place is awesome. There’s nothing quite as relaxing as a waterfall, and when it’s as big, varied and impressive as Iguazu there’s not much that can go wrong.

I take a million pictures. The blazing sun at least creates plenty of rainbows in any piece of spray going. There are also some black birds with colourful rings around their eyes. There are also Coatis, small raccoon-like creatures with fat bodies and pointy noses that my half-Argentinean friend Marcos warned me about. I don’t know why though, apart from sniffing out food from visitors they seemed pretty harmless. I also later find out that they’re called nose-bears in German.

However just as I’m taking pictures of the Coatis my battery on my camera runs out, which is an arse. But I find out that you can come back the next day for half price so, as it’s so hot and a little wearing to walk round the whole place in one shot, I decide to come back tomorrow.

Back at the hostel I meet with Sam again and two of his friends who have arrived, Selena and Ali. We then go back to the same restaurant as last night and have some more beef, and then go back and watch the end of the Superbowl. Yay for New Orleans! Incidentally, despite Bife de Chorizo getting all the press, for me Bife de Lomo is where it’s at when it comes to Argentinean steak.

No comments: