Wednesday 24 February 2010

Higher than the Sun

Tuesday 23 February
Quito

I like Quito, from first impressions. I’ve noticed a bit more of an influence of America here. Argentina and Chile are like Europe. Salvador feels like Africa. Rio has it’s mountains and beaches. And Quito puts the America into South America. In a good way mind. It’s not just the dollars, it’s the SUVs, the buildings, the large variety of shops where you can buy anything you want. There are hardware shops (amusingly called Ferreteria in Spanish), corner shops, car dealerships, westernised restaurants, banks ... I don’t know, it just feels a bit like America to me.

I book my trip to the Galapagos. Six days of island hopping. Sounds like it will be good. Although I don’t have a headache any more I still feel a bit spaced so take it easy for most of the day and don’t really do much. I surf the web a lot. That’s easy to do.

I eat a huge pizza for lunch and I’m quite proud that I manage to finish it. Though as a result I don’t get hungry again. And I get a big dose of heartburn later in the evening. But I manage to find a couple of places selling yogurt and after two of those I’m fine.

Rock and roll, baby.

No comments: