Saturday 15 May 2010

And When the Night Falls

Tuesday 30 March
Florianopolis

We went to the beach again today. It was a bit of a mission as we took a bus to a different beach from yesterday and then decided that we didn’t want to go there – it was packed and full of families. But when we tried to take the bus back they wouldn’t accept the large note we had, the bastards, so we were stranded. Cue a fair stretch of time spent trying to find a taxi shop unsuccessfully, then trying to find a cheap restaurant unsuccessfully, then finally buying a couple of ice creams to get the change we needed to get to Mole.

So we went back to the beach from yesterday and hung out there. We bumped into Kåre (pronounced Corey) a Danish guy we knew from the hostel and hung out with him. He had rented a car so to get back to the hostel we jumped in his car.

In the evening there was a Brazilian dancing thing going on which we went to. Of course the set up is that you dance in a certain way with the local girls and if you do it right, you’re basically set to get laid. Having no formal training in the technique it was hard to pick up. If only I had done a few salsa lessons before I left I’m sure I would have been able to make something of it. I did have a go, but I was so painfully white it was untrue. Of course Alain more or less got the hang of it.

But there really wasn’t much for us there. So after a while we gathered up the survivors, ate hotdogs and left. We got some random guy to drive us back. He was a bit chaotic but interestingly everyone was saying how dangerous his driving was. Well I was in the front seat and maybe I’ve been driving in London for too long or maybe I’ve been to enough foreign countries which chaotic driving but I didn’t see anything I hadn’t seen many times before. Even in Brazil. And it was nothing like the rally driver we had on our last night in Salvador. Or one I would have in Cali.

Back at the hostel it was clear that Alain was significantly more drunk than the rest of us. He was acting like a dick. He only went to bed after I gave him the silent treatment!

No comments: