Wednesday 12 May 2010

Performance

Sunday 28 March
Florianopolis

Today we moved out of our hostel to the one that Alain and Ryan were staying at before I arrived, as they thought it was better. I never fully understood why they thought the previous hostel was so bad, it was perfectly adequate. But they had a good time in the other hostel and wanted to return there so I think that was their main motivation.

Needless to say I was hungover most of the day. Also the weather has been full-on cloudy for the last couple of days. Hopefully that will clear up soon. We resolve not to do too much drinking today. After Salvador and the pain we experienced there we know not to go too hard, although that’s exactly what we’ve been doing so far.

We ate at the hostel which had some awesome food. We had a few drinks in the hostel which was quite low key. We went to a bar and there was a band playing covers. I casually let it slip that I would like to get up and play a song. Wheels started turning when the band went for a break one of our group who was a guy from Portugal spoke to the band on my behalf. It turns out it was OK so I went on stage and played.

It was Mr. Jones again. I wasn’t feeling particularly energetic after the previous two nights but I managed to incorporate the low energy into the performance. And then part way through the first verse I heard someone start to play the drums. I turned round and it was one of our group, a big fat guy from Sao Paulo who was towards the end of a big motorcycle trip down to the glaciers of Argentina and back again. And then shortly after him, the harmonica player from the covers band joined in as well. So I had an impromptu full band joining in with me and my song. Good times.

The song went well and I ended with a big “Obrigardo!” before leaving the stage. I was then bathed in a great moment of ego massaging as everyone told me how wonderful I was. A little bit of flirting later and the night ended somewhat incomplete.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have to say that you are lucky!! Firstly, you don´t need to work, and secondly, you are travelling around the world and meeting the most amazing people. I have heard Brazil is quite nice, but nothing compared to Argentina and its glaciares. I wanted to rent apartment buenos aires so that is the first thing I did. I was able to be at the Recoleta Cemetary next to Evita´s tomb. I also visited the Cabildo and Casa Rosada (where the president works) and then the Japanese Garden and the Botanical Garden. And these, just to name a few. Thing I have seen, are not seen in any ohter country.
Anyways, nice blog, and I hope you will continue to travel!
Cheers,
Brit