Monday 3 May 2010

Return to Sender

Wednesday 24 March
Quito

Although I fell asleep at first, later I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn’t get back to sleep again. Instead I entertained myself by looking out the window and watching our progress as we twisted our way up the Andes towards Quito. We were actually ahead of schedule by about two hours and we also went through the centre of town before arriving at the bus station. I could have left the bus there but it was so early there was a risk that the hostel wouldn’t be open, and that I would be left on the side of the road with my bags, in Quito, which wouldn’t be a good idea.

So once at the bus station I took a taxi to the hostel, ate breakfast and relaxed. There’s no sightseeing to do so I just do a bit of admin. I buy some toiletries, which is very exciting. I can get wifi in my room this time, which is also exciting. Compared to the coast it’s much faster. I have a snooze in the afternoon to catch up on my sleep.

In the evening I go out for a meal and then a drink afterwards, but the tiredness and the threat of being mugged lead me to head home early and pack for the next day.

No comments: